Police appeal following St Albans taxi rank assault
A PEACEMAKER who broke up a fight was punched to the floor and knocked out as he went to get in a taxi home.
Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information after the assault in St Peter’s Street, St Albans, which happened at around 2.30am on Saturday morning.
The 38-year-old victim had just separated people involved in an argument when he was punched in the head and knocked unconscious.
Onlookers rushed to the man’s aid while the culprit – who was described as mixed race with short brown hair and wearing a blue top – made off with another man of mixed race.
Dc Zoe Austwick, who is investigating, said: “This was an unpleasant incident where a man was hit and knocked unconscious after he had helped break up an altercation.
You may also want to watch:
“I am appealing for anyone who was there at the taxi rank in St Peter’s Street at the time and saw any of this incident take place. In particular, we believe there was a nurse and someone from the army who may have vital information on this offence.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dc Austwick via the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222 or, alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans