Police appeal following fatal car accident
A ST ALBANS man died in a car accident near Wheathampstead on Saturday (June 18).
Police are appealing for witnesses and information following the accident on the B651 between St Albans and Wheathampstead at around 10am.
Two cars, a silver BMW X5 and a blue Nissan Micra are alleged to have collided just south of the junction with Ferrers Lane.
The driver of the Nissan, in his 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver of the BMW was taken to the QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City suffering from minor injuries.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “We were alerted to outside the Wicked Lady on the Wheathampstead Road at 10.05am. Three ambulance responses from St Albans and one from Hemel attended the scene. Due to the nature of the call, the HEMS air ambulance from London attended the incident.
You may also want to watch:
“Sadly on our arrival and after everyone’s best efforts, a man was pronounced dead at the scene. Our thoughts are with his family at this tragic time. A second casualty, a man, received minor injuries. He was taken to hospital by land ambulance.”
Sergeant Colin Bonner from the Road Crash Investigation Unit said: “I am appealing for anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident and can help explain what happened to come forward.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 8 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
“Those with information can contact me via the non-emergency number on 0845 33 00 222.”
Road closures were put in place at the junction with Coleman Green Lane and Ferrers Lane until just before 3pm.
A 29-year-old man from the St Albans area has been arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous driving. He has been police bailed until August.