Platinum party marks 70 years of marriage for St Albans couple
- Credit: Archant
A platinum celebration was in order for two St Albans sweethearts who toasted to 70 years of marriage alongside their family and friends.
Maureen and John Rowland, 93 and 97, who met at a dance in Preston when Maureen was just 18, made the most of their special day surrounded by their loved ones and a special mass at home given by a priest from St Alban’s and St Stephen’s Church.
Both originally from the west of Ireland, the lovebirds met after coming to England separately to earn some money, with John working as a builder and Maureen as a nurse in Blackpool.
Together they had five children, Peter, John, Sharon, Kevin and Geraldine, though Peter sadly passed away from cancer 10 years ago.
And though many may be wondering what the secret to their everlasting love is, John admits it’s hard think of just one ingredient.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We have been very lucky but we always try to help one another in every way and stick together.
“I can’t think of just one thing that has made it work but we’re very thankful and happy to be celebrating 70 years together.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 7 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 8 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 9 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 10 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
Though they lived in Coventry until 1999, they were encouraged to move down to the city by their family, but still live independently in their own home.
The pair are planning a celebratory dinner out with family the weekend after next, as Maureen is currently recovering from a collapsed vertebrae,