Platinum party marks 70 years of marriage for St Albans couple
- Credit: Archant
A platinum celebration was in order for two St Albans sweethearts who toasted to 70 years of marriage alongside their family and friends.
Maureen and John Rowland, 93 and 97, who met at a dance in Preston when Maureen was just 18, made the most of their special day surrounded by their loved ones and a special mass at home given by a priest from St Alban’s and St Stephen’s Church.
Both originally from the west of Ireland, the lovebirds met after coming to England separately to earn some money, with John working as a builder and Maureen as a nurse in Blackpool.
Together they had five children, Peter, John, Sharon, Kevin and Geraldine, though Peter sadly passed away from cancer 10 years ago.
And though many may be wondering what the secret to their everlasting love is, John admits it’s hard think of just one ingredient.
He said: “We have been very lucky but we always try to help one another in every way and stick together.
“I can’t think of just one thing that has made it work but we’re very thankful and happy to be celebrating 70 years together.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Author's new book explores mental health during the pandemic
Though they lived in Coventry until 1999, they were encouraged to move down to the city by their family, but still live independently in their own home.
The pair are planning a celebratory dinner out with family the weekend after next, as Maureen is currently recovering from a collapsed vertebrae,