Plastering Academy set up in Markyate
AN ACADEMY for would-be plasterers is set to open over the coming weeks, with the hope of getting more young people trained and back into employment.
The C & G academy, the brainchild of Sam Pimm, will be based in Markyate and offer intense three-week training courses.
Sam, who has been a plasterer in the district for the last seven years, said he was inspired to set up the training centre after he failed to find the right venue when he was trying to gain qualifications seven years ago.
He said: “I couldn’t find an apprenticeship when I started out – there were very few around. Instead I looked into doing an intense course because local colleges only offered one or two-year courses. The closest place I could find to suit my needs was in Essex.
“People want to get back into work and this is a way of helping them do it.”
You may also want to watch:
The courses will cover all mandatory NVQ requirements and weekend and one-week options will be available to those looking to complete projects or just learn the basics.
Sam added: “Unemployment is so high at the moment and I really want people to know that there are other options – a local option – to help them get back into work.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
Sam hopes to be able to offer some young people – 16 to 21 year olds – some funding as there are government grants available. Call 01582 842878 or visit www.candgplasteringacademy.co.uk