Photographer creates book with images of St Albans’s 97 pubs
- Credit: Archant
A photographer from St Albans has created a photo book of all 97 pubs in the city at night.
Ricky Barnett, 54, started taking photos of local pubs for fun, but when he received a positive response on Facebook made it his mission to photograph every pub in St Albans.
After turning the photos into a calendar, he then made them available to buy as prints and as a photo book, forming a record of the city’s pubs as they are today.
Ricky, who lives in Marshalswick, said: “I went out one night last year when I was at a loose end and I’d got a new camera, and started taking photos of different things.
“As I go to pubs I thought I’d take a few photos of pubs and I posted them on Facebook. I got a very good reaction so I took on the mission of taking a photo of every single pub in St Albans. It turned into 97 pubs.
You may also want to watch:
“It was suggested that I should make a calendar, which I did, and just for my own interest I made a book. I offered it to everyone who may be interested and now I’m talking to CAMRA [Campaign for Real Ale] about the Beer Festival and maybe doing something there.”
Ricky works as a mechanical engineer, and has been pursuing photography seriously for around a year and a half. It took him six weeks to photograph all of the pubs, and he photographed them all at night, often with dramatic streaks of light.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
- 9 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success
- 10 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
He said: “My current favourite is the Robin Hood, but I have been frequenting St Albans a long time before I was living here.”
He also named the bar at the White Hart Hotel in Holywell Hill as among his favourites, and said that the landscape of St Albans pubs has changed over the years, with some having closed down.