Pharmacy in St Albans gives wrong prescription for medication
- Credit: Archant
A pharmacy is investigating one of its branches following a mix up with medication.
The Jhoots Pharmacy branch in Highfield, St Albans, is being looked into by head office after a woman received the wrong prescription last Friday.
Lorraine Hobbs, 39, of St Albans, visited the store to collect her mother’s prescription and expected to receive two pots of 100mg tablets of ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Instead, she was given 500mg tablets even though the printed label claimed that the bottles contained the correct amount of 100mg.
Lorraine said: “They gave me two pots and both didn’t have the right amount.
“I’ve been using the pharmacy for years and years and I have never had a problem before.
“When I spoke to the manager he said she could have been really ill with a bad stomach and others have told me it could have been much worse.”
Lorraine’s mum, who is 74, is unable to see very well and “could have easily just taken the tablets”.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 6 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 7 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
She continued: “I just want people to be aware and to check their tablets to make sure they have got what they should have.
“The pharmacy did apologise and so did the manager, she was in tears actually, but I told her I had to make a complaint because it’s important.
“I have to check absolutely everything now because my mum can’t really see.”
A spokesperson for the pharmacy commented: “We are investigating a possible dispensing error at Jhoots Pharmacy in Russet Drive, St Albans, where a customer was given 500mg of ascorbic acid instead of the prescribed 100mg.
“We have spoken with the customer and will keep her updated with the outcome of the investigation.”