Last chance to sign petition for new hospital central to west Hertfordshire
- Credit: Archant
A petition to build a new hospital central to St Albans, Watford and Dacorum has reached 10,000 signatures.
The petition was started by campaigner Andy Love, and calls on NHS decision makers to instruct West Herts Hospital Trust (WHHT) to amend their strategic outline case, proposing a hospital in a more central location rather than redeveloping the existing Watford General Hospital.
Campaigners from the New Hospital Campaign (NHC) have argued that building a new acute hospital would be cheaper and quicker, and would be easier to access by public transport than the current hospital in Vicarage Road, Watford.
The Government responds to all petitions which reach more than 10,000 signatures, but Andy is continuing to urge St Albans and Harpenden residents to sign to put more momentum behind the petition. He said: “I wasn’t sure we would get there and it is a fantastic achievement to reach 10 000 signatures and trigger a government response to the petition.
“It can only help demonstrate to the NHS regulators and local health authorities the strength of feeling there is among West Herts’ residents for building a new and more accessible A&E Hospital for West Herts.
You may also want to watch:
“The Herts Advertiser, with their coverage of the new hospital campaign , have played a major part helping the petition to achieve 10k signatures.
“The petition is still open until Wednesday so I am urging those who haven’t signed to join the 10 000 who have, as we need every signature out there in order to keep the pressure on the NHS regulators for a new and more accessible A&E Hospital for everyone in West Herts.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
The petition ends on Wednesday, May 23.
To sign go to https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202644