Peter Tatchell backs Campaign for Colney
- Credit: Archant
Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has given his support to the fight against developing London Colney’s Green Belt.
The 66-year-old was on a visit to a North London school when he publicly announced his support for the Campaign for Colney group, led by Brett Ellis, who teaches at the school.
In a video, Mr Tatchell said: “I implore the local authorities and the government to listen to local people. They have a right to decide.
“We must protect the Green Belt and we must hear the voices of local people.”
The Campaign for Colney is opposing proposals for a 6,000-home development on land to the south-east of London Colney.
In May, the Tyttenhanger Estate published plans for the Redwell Garden Village, which would stretch all the way down to the M25.
You may also want to watch:
It would include a secondary school, four primary schools, cycle routes and 60 per cent open space.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters