Patients' long wait for eye ops
PATIENTS waiting for cataract surgery at St Albans City Hospital have one of the longest delays in the country, a new hospital guide has revealed. The report, compiled by Dr Foster, an online provider of health information, found that those being treate
PATIENTS waiting for cataract surgery at St Albans City Hospital have one of the longest delays in the country, a new hospital guide has revealed.
The report, compiled by Dr Foster, an online provider of health information, found that those being treated for cataracts at the St Albans hospital wait an average of 152 days, compared to a national average of 95 days.
According to the Dr Foster Good Hospital Guide, patients being treated for the same condition at Luton and Dunstable Hospital wait 69 days for a cataract operation, less than half the time that West Herts residents are subject to.
MP for St Albans Anne Main said of the results: "It is obvious that the length of time waiting for this operation is falling way short of targets. The positive impact that cataract surgery can have on a patient's life means it is particularly concerning that those in St Albans who need this surgery face such long waits."
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson from West Herts Hospitals Trust said: "Along with all Trusts in the United Kingdom, we are working towards achieving a total 126-day wait from GP referral to treatment for cataracts by the end of November, in line with the Government target.
She added: "By January 2009 it is anticipated that patients will wait no longer than 14 weeks (98 days) for cataract surgery, well below the Government target.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 4 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre