Passer-by Rescues Two Children From St Albans Flat Fire
TWO children were rescued from a flat fire this morning (Thursday). A dog-walker noticed smoke billowing from the property in Hall Gardens, Colney Heath, at around 8.20am and knocked on the door to check nobody was inside. A boy, thought to be aged betwee
TWO children were rescued from a flat fire this morning (Thursday).
A dog-walker noticed smoke billowing from the property in Hall Gardens, Colney Heath, at around 8.20am and knocked on the door to check nobody was inside.
A boy, thought to be aged between 11 and 13, answered the door to the woman and told her that his sister was asleep inside. The woman woke her up and got both children out of the flat, which did not have a smoke alarm, prior to the arrival of firefighters.
When they got to the scene, the firefighters from St Albans and Hatfield found a fire in the bathroom of the ground-floor flat, which they quickly put out.
You may also want to watch:
The bathroom was left with smoke and fire damage, and there was also smoke damage to the remainder of the property.
The firefighters, who left the scene at around 9.15am, also had to break into the property above to ensure that the fire had not spread.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 5 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 6 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
It is thought that the fire was probably caused by an electrical fault but a fire investigation will take place.
Firefighters said the incident highlighted the importance of fitting a smoke alarm.
For a free smoke alarm to be fitted and a fire safety check, contact St Albans fire station on 01727 818919.