Passer-by Rescues Two Children From St Albans Flat Fire

PUBLISHED: 12:43 24 September 2009 | UPDATED: 14:27 06 May 2010

TWO children were rescued from a flat fire this morning (Thursday). A dog-walker noticed smoke billowing from the property in Hall Gardens, Colney Heath, at around 8.20am and knocked on the door to check nobody was inside. A boy, thought to be aged betwee

TWO children were rescued from a flat fire this morning (Thursday).

A dog-walker noticed smoke billowing from the property in Hall Gardens, Colney Heath, at around 8.20am and knocked on the door to check nobody was inside.

A boy, thought to be aged between 11 and 13, answered the door to the woman and told her that his sister was asleep inside. The woman woke her up and got both children out of the flat, which did not have a smoke alarm, prior to the arrival of firefighters.

When they got to the scene, the firefighters from St Albans and Hatfield found a fire in the bathroom of the ground-floor flat, which they quickly put out.

The bathroom was left with smoke and fire damage, and there was also smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

The firefighters, who left the scene at around 9.15am, also had to break into the property above to ensure that the fire had not spread.

It is thought that the fire was probably caused by an electrical fault but a fire investigation will take place.

Firefighters said the incident highlighted the importance of fitting a smoke alarm.

For a free smoke alarm to be fitted and a fire safety check, contact St Albans fire station on 01727 818919.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser