Paramedics get high number of calls to St Albans on Christmas Day
ST ALBANS had the fifth highest number of 999 ambulance calls across the whole of Herts and Beds on Christmas Day.
Paramedics were called to a total of 38 incidents over the 24-hour period, placing it high in the table of 22 areas across both counties.
Luton had 104 calls making it the area with the most, while neighbouring areas Hemel and Hatfield had 42 and 20 calls respectively.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “On past experience, Christmas Day can be a very quiet or exceptionally busy day for our crews. This year was no different and our staff were kept busy throughout the 24 hour period.
“The calls we attended ranged from heart attacks, falls, breathing problems, road collisions, strokes, chest pains, unconsciousness and back pains. Sadly there were a few calls relating to alcohol which ended up in assaults.”
You may also want to watch:
Gary added: “Unfortunately we did attend emergency calls to people who didn’t really require a ‘blue light ambulance’– for instance, a man who wanted us to check his electricity supply, which is clearly not a 999 call.
“We are asking the public to please call 999 if someone is having a heart attack, having a stroke or if they are unconscious. If you have a sore throat or a sprained ankle, please seek an alternative advice, like NHS Direct or your GP.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development