Paralympian David is new St Albans Chamber president
- Credit: Photo supplied
England’s record goal scorer in blind football is the new president of St Albans District Chamber of Commerce.
Harpenden’s David Clarke, head of St Albans business and private banking at Clydesdale Bank, has taken over the role from Peter Goodman.
Over 80 chamber members watched the handover of the presidential chain at the organisation’s 108th annual general meeting, and applauded Peter’s service for the past three years.
Describing his new role as an “honour and a privilege”, David praised Peter’s efforts in driving forward the group - which boasts over 400 members.
He added: “We have a very dynamic Chamber board with a shared vision to promote growth and success in our business community, something we have been doing for over 100 years.”
David told the Herts Advertiser, which has close links with the Chamber, that it was an honour to wear the presidential chain which had been worn by previous leaders, including Harpenden’s Michael Weaver.
He said the organisation hoped to boost jobs in St Albans and create more opportunities for businesses.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 6 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
The sports star has continued to hit the headlines over recent years as, apart from playing blind football in the Paralympic Games 2012, he has received an Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Herts, been inducted into the National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame, and appeared in Strictly Come Dancing for Sport Relief last year.