Over 1,000 St Albans scouts to march through city as 500 children on waiting lists look on
- Credit: Archant
Over 1,000 Scouts will be parading through St Albans for St George’s Day.
Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts, and their leaders will march along St Peter’s Street on Sunday, April 23.
St Albans Scouts district commissioner, Annette Payne, said: “St George’s Day has been a celebration in scouting from pretty much when it started.”
The group will then congregate on the Cathedral orchard for a celebration.
It comes as the national scouting movement warns a lack of volunteers means there are 51,000 children on a waiting list to join the movement.
You may also want to watch:
There are 500 children in St Albans on a waiting list, due to both a lack of volunteers and space.
Dr Payne said: “We look for all sorts of different things.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
“People to help out at meetings, not necessarily every week, maybe once a month.
“People to help out on Saturdays, people to help out on camps.
“We are currently looking for more venues, because a lot of our facilities are full.”
Dr Payne pointed to a recent study by Edinburgh and Glasgow universities, which said people who were in Scouts have better mental health later in life.
She said: “It is important for children to enjoy all of the activities we do but it is also important they have resilience, teamworking, all those skills.”
There will be a stall at the orchard on the day for anyone interested in volunteering with the scouts.