Over 1,000 St Albans scouts to march through city as 500 children on waiting lists look on
- Credit: Archant
Over 1,000 Scouts will be parading through St Albans for St George’s Day.
Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts, and their leaders will march along St Peter’s Street on Sunday, April 23.
St Albans Scouts district commissioner, Annette Payne, said: “St George’s Day has been a celebration in scouting from pretty much when it started.”
The group will then congregate on the Cathedral orchard for a celebration.
It comes as the national scouting movement warns a lack of volunteers means there are 51,000 children on a waiting list to join the movement.
You may also want to watch:
There are 500 children in St Albans on a waiting list, due to both a lack of volunteers and space.
Dr Payne said: “We look for all sorts of different things.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
“People to help out at meetings, not necessarily every week, maybe once a month.
“People to help out on Saturdays, people to help out on camps.
“We are currently looking for more venues, because a lot of our facilities are full.”
Dr Payne pointed to a recent study by Edinburgh and Glasgow universities, which said people who were in Scouts have better mental health later in life.
She said: “It is important for children to enjoy all of the activities we do but it is also important they have resilience, teamworking, all those skills.”
There will be a stall at the orchard on the day for anyone interested in volunteering with the scouts.