Open weekend at St Albans leisure centre will mark Olympic anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A WEEKEND of free sports activities at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre will mark a year since the London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony.
Adults and children of all ages and abilities are invited to get fit and have fun while trying out the centre’s facilities and exercise classes this Saturday and Sunday.
For youngsters aged eight to 15 there will be a variety of organised games and challenges in the new youth gym, such as dance mat competitions, dodgeball games and splat contests on the interactive wall.
Children under eight can enjoy a free soft play session, and those aged 16 plus are invited to use the main fitness suite, which includes the latest equipment such as the X Cube, Total Gym, Trixter bikes, Power Plate and Wattbike. The climbing wall will also be open between 11am and 3pm.
Elsewhere, badminton, table tennis and short tennis sessions will take place from 11am to 3pm, and fans of group exercise can try out some of the centre’s fitness classes over the weekend. Booking in advance is essential and spaces are expected to fill up fast.
You may also want to watch:
Everyone Active contract manager Steve Cox said: “We are looking forward to welcoming new families to Westminster Lodge to show the range of activities we can offer youngsters and adults.
“We hope by giving some free taster sessions everyone will feel encouraged to take up some new active hobbies.”
- 1 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 2 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 3 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 6 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 9 Check in to the Supper Club for something different
- 10 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
The open weekend is part of Public Health England’s Get Going This Summer campaign for Change4Life to encourage more people to get active one year on from the London 2012 Olympics.
It runs from 10am to 3pm this Saturday and Sunday. For more information contact 01727 736080.