Open weekend at St Albans leisure centre will mark Olympic anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A WEEKEND of free sports activities at Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre will mark a year since the London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony.
Adults and children of all ages and abilities are invited to get fit and have fun while trying out the centre’s facilities and exercise classes this Saturday and Sunday.
For youngsters aged eight to 15 there will be a variety of organised games and challenges in the new youth gym, such as dance mat competitions, dodgeball games and splat contests on the interactive wall.
Children under eight can enjoy a free soft play session, and those aged 16 plus are invited to use the main fitness suite, which includes the latest equipment such as the X Cube, Total Gym, Trixter bikes, Power Plate and Wattbike. The climbing wall will also be open between 11am and 3pm.
Elsewhere, badminton, table tennis and short tennis sessions will take place from 11am to 3pm, and fans of group exercise can try out some of the centre’s fitness classes over the weekend. Booking in advance is essential and spaces are expected to fill up fast.
You may also want to watch:
Everyone Active contract manager Steve Cox said: “We are looking forward to welcoming new families to Westminster Lodge to show the range of activities we can offer youngsters and adults.
“We hope by giving some free taster sessions everyone will feel encouraged to take up some new active hobbies.”
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 5 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 6 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 7 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 8 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 9 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 10 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
The open weekend is part of Public Health England’s Get Going This Summer campaign for Change4Life to encourage more people to get active one year on from the London 2012 Olympics.
It runs from 10am to 3pm this Saturday and Sunday. For more information contact 01727 736080.