Olympic champion Victoria Pendleton inspires St Albans cyclists
- Credit: Neville Styles
Olympic star Victoria Pendleton has been praised for inspiring 600 women, including a group from St Albans, to bike alongside her at the weekend to raise money for a cancer charity.
The double Olympic gold medallist took on the 40km course of the Macmillan Cycletta at Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire, on Sunday (29).
One of a series of cycle rides, the women’s-only event offered courses ranging in distance from 20-70km, to suit participants of all ages and abilities.
Hot yoga instructor Charlotte Peers joined fellow St Albans residents, indoor and outdoor cycling coaches Lottie Williams and Dani White and Sandra Wright, of Harpenden, at the event.
Two years ago Lottie, a former primary school teacher, braved the roads on her “rickety” old bike for the first time in decades.
You may also want to watch:
She is now an indoor stationary cycling trainer and a cycling coach.
A spokeswoman for the cycletta said that despite plenty of rain the day before, cyclists had perfect conditions for the bike ride.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Many riders were raising money for official charity, Macmillan Cancer Support, which hoped to raise £30,000 from the event.
Afterwards Victoria tweeted: “Thank you to all the lovely ladies who came along to the sunny Cycletta ride [in] Woburn yesterday. [It’s a] shame we can’t do it every weekend.”
An event representative responded that it was “amazing to see the effect an Olympic legend can have on inspiring so many people.”