Old Albanian rugby girls scrub up for calendar
- Credit: Archant
There is something altogether different about a fundraising calendar compiled by women rugby players.
For instead of sporting their usual strip, Old Albanian Saints stripped off for their 2015 calendar to raise some extra cash for the women’s section.
Now they are hoping their successes on the pitch so far this season will be reflected in a scrum to get hold of the calendar.
It was the brainchild of Saints’ pack leader, sponsorship and fundraising officer, Holly Watson. She first persuaded St Albans pub, The Mermaid in Hatfield Road, to sponsor the calendar and then roped in local artist - and Saints’ outside centre -Robyn King to take the photographs. It was designed by Paul Seabrook
Holly said: “The biggest challenge wasn’t persuading the Saints, because we all knew Robyn’s photos would be great, but finding a time when everyone was available and Woollams was warm enough, light enough and quiet anough to take the pictures we wanted was much more difficult.”
Club captain Katie Jewell added: “We are really pleased with the photos and with the final calendar - it’s a good reflection of the Saints’ sense of fun and how much we enjoy playing rugby and being part of this squad.
“All the hard work has been done by Holly, Robyn and Paul and we think they have produced a great product for us - the perfect stocking filler!”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 6 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 9 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
The calendars are £5 each and available to buy from The Mermaid pub.