Old Albanian rugby girls scrub up for calendar
- Credit: Archant
There is something altogether different about a fundraising calendar compiled by women rugby players.
For instead of sporting their usual strip, Old Albanian Saints stripped off for their 2015 calendar to raise some extra cash for the women’s section.
Now they are hoping their successes on the pitch so far this season will be reflected in a scrum to get hold of the calendar.
It was the brainchild of Saints’ pack leader, sponsorship and fundraising officer, Holly Watson. She first persuaded St Albans pub, The Mermaid in Hatfield Road, to sponsor the calendar and then roped in local artist - and Saints’ outside centre -Robyn King to take the photographs. It was designed by Paul Seabrook
Holly said: “The biggest challenge wasn’t persuading the Saints, because we all knew Robyn’s photos would be great, but finding a time when everyone was available and Woollams was warm enough, light enough and quiet anough to take the pictures we wanted was much more difficult.”
You may also want to watch:
Club captain Katie Jewell added: “We are really pleased with the photos and with the final calendar - it’s a good reflection of the Saints’ sense of fun and how much we enjoy playing rugby and being part of this squad.
“All the hard work has been done by Holly, Robyn and Paul and we think they have produced a great product for us - the perfect stocking filler!”
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
The calendars are £5 each and available to buy from The Mermaid pub.