Nine teenagers now arrested after knifepoint robberies in St Albans
PUBLISHED: 09:59 17 August 2016 | UPDATED: 09:59 17 August 2016
Two more youths have now been arrested in connection with the terrifying knifepoint robbery of two teenagers in St Albans two months ago, bringing the total of suspects to nine.
Seven people were initially arrested by Herts Police after a 15 and 17 year old were robbed within minutes of each other on Saturday, June 4.
A police helicopter was sent to Marshalswick, where both robberies occurred, to search for the offenders.
In the first incident, a 15 year old boy was robbed of his phone at 9.45pm in Marshalswick Lane after he was threatened by a group of youths carrying knives.
Herts Police received a report of a second robbery, at about 10pm, of a further knifepoint robbery at The Wick, off Marshal’s Drive, where a bag and a mobile phone were stolen from a 17 year old boy.
Seven youths, aged between 15 and 16, were arrested on suspicion of armed robbery and taken into police custody.
Officers recovered a number of knives during the investigation, and police patrols increased in the area as a result.
The headteacher of a St Albans secondary school attended by one of the two teenage victims later praised them for their level-headedness during their “horrific” ordeal.
The seven who were arrested in connection with the robberies were bailed until June 12 or July 27.
In a further update this week, a spokeswoman for Herts Police said that two more youths have been arrested.
No charges have yet been laid, and all suspects - eight of whom are from Luton - remain on police bail:
• A 16 year old boy from Luton, arrested on June 22 on suspicion of robbery, has been bailed until September 4
• A 16 year old boy from Luton, arrested on June 28, on suspicion of robbery, has been bailed until September 2
• Two 16 year old boys from Luton, one of whom has been bailed until September 2, and the second bailed until September 7
• A 15 year old boy from Luton, bailed until September 4
• A 16 year old boy, bailed until September 4
• A 16 year old boy from Luton. He has been bailed until August 23
• A 16 year old boy from Luton, who has been bailed until September 2
• A 16 year old boy from St Albans. He has been bailed until September 4
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.