New St Albans photographer snaps her way into national finals
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans photographer has reached the finals of the Guild of Photographers Image of the Year Competition.
An image taken by Sian Shipley, 31, was one of just 10 photos selected from nearly 10,000 entries in various categories to go forward to the final.
Portrait photography is a relatively new business for Sian, who previously worked as a market research reporting manager, and her company has only been trading for eight months.
She has been busy raising her two sons over the last three years, but is now focussing on turing her passion into a business.
The selected image is of local baby Imogen and was taken in her home using her Canon 6D semi-professional camera, 24-70mm Tamaron lens and one Yongnuo Flash.
Sian Shipley Photography specialises in family portraits and pre school children. The Guild is a highly respected UK based association for photographers which also has members from overseas.
Each year it runs an online monthly photographic competition with awards being given each month to the very best of the entries.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 4 Music line-up confirmed for Pub in the Park 2022 St Albans festival
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 7 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 10 Who was the witch of St Albans?
Guild director Lesley Thirsk said: “One of the Guild’s aims is to drive standards and creativity amongst photographers. Our monthly competition certainly does that, for the standard of the entries we see each month is quite staggering.
“To have an image recognised by the Guild in the monthly competition is difficult enough, so to have an image selected as being one of the best 10 in a category for the end of year final is a quite remarkable achievement, and shows just how talented Sian Shipley Photography is.”
Sian said “Photography is my passion and may be the only career I have been this passionate about. It started out as my hobby photographing my two boys and quickly became my life.
“I just love helping families to capture their beautiful children and keep the memories for years to come.
“When I am working at a photo session, it doesn’t feel like work, I enjoy it so much. This year I have mainly been focusing on training and developing my skill set.
“I am absolutely shocked yet over the moon that my image has been chosen. I have only been a professional photographer for eight months, but I have worked so hard to achieve these high standards.
Sian’s image, along with the other finalists, will now be printed ready for the competition final at an awards night on February 6.