New St Albans campaign calls on people to get fit and help in the fight against diabetes
- Credit: Archant
A charity set up in memory of a husband and father who died from Type 2 diabetes complications is set to benefit from a new campaign which starts next week at Westminster Lodge in St Albans.
The Eat Fit Campaign is a weight management and healthy eating initiative inspired by The Michael Green Foundation, which was formed in June 2013.
it was set up by Michael’s wife Joanne and daughter Tally, who live in Park Street, after Michael, 53, died suddenly from a heart attack due to complications of his diabetes from which he had suffered for years.
To date, the charity has raised £40,000, £20,000 of which has been donated to Watford General Hospital for the opening of the Michael Green Dietetic Educational Kitchen which helps patients understand how to manage their condition with proper understanding of the right diet for them.
This month the charity funded a dedicated dietician for the kitchen.
In addition it has commissioned a Diabetes UK Healthy Lifestyle Roadshow where 53 per cent of those assessed were referred to their GPs for further screening and also raises money for the Michael Clements Diabetes Centre at Watford General.
Money has been raised by various events over the last 18 months including 12 runners in the British 10K, a sponsored haircut and a supper quiz.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 5 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 6 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 7 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 8 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 9 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 10 Six Bells shock Skew Bridge to lift Herts Ad Knockout Cup
Everyone Active, which runs Westminster Lodge, has agreed to support the Eat Fit Campaign’s 12-week course which has the dual purpose of providing people with information about different aspects of diet and exercise and raising money for the foundation.
Experts will be on hand to prove help with goal setting, nutrition, healthy snacking and exercise and other lifestyle changes appropriate to those with Type 2 diabetes or who might be at risk from it.
Joanne explained that Everyone Active had donated the room free and specialists were donating their time so that money could be raised for the foundation.
She added: “Diabetes is one of the biggest killers out there.”
The course starts on Monday and runs from 7.30pm to 8.30pm. To book or reserve a place call 07870 311192 or use the online contact form at www.michaelgreenfoundation.org