New St Albans apprentice Doug is driven by passion for cars
A LOVE of cars has prompted a straight A philosophy and psychology student to opt out of a degree course at university in favour of a career in the automotive sector as a vehicle technician.
Having been offered a number of opportunities from local dealerships, 20-year-old Doug Pullar, a former pupil at St Columba’s College, who lives in Westfields Road, St Albans, has begun a three year apprenticeship at Brayley Honda on Hatfield Road.
Already working under the supervision of Brayley Honda’s senior technicians, Doug will also attend the Honda Institute in Colnbrook, near Slough, for a series of one-week blocks of study as part of his technical apprenticeship.
Doug, who is the newest member of staff to join the team at the St Albans dealership, explained his reasoning behind the move: “I’ve always been interested in cars and engines in particular. The apprenticeship with Brayley Honda offered me the chance to work on petrol, diesel and the latest hybrid engine technology, which will ensure I have a broad spectrum of experience. Not to mention the fact that I am now earning while I’m learning.
“It’s my ambition to progress into advanced diagnostics and then into management in the future,” added Doug, who supplements his income by purchasing broken older vehicles in his spare time and then repairing them before selling them on.
You may also want to watch:
Having started his own career as an apprentice technician, Paul Brayley, managing director at Brayley Honda, is keen to support the ambitions of young people wanting to enter the retail motor industry: “Our business is about empowering people to do the best they can for our customers as well as for their own professional development. An apprenticeship provides an excellent start to a career and I’m pleased to welcome Doug to the team. Honda is launching a number of new models this year, including the hybrid Jazz, so it’s a great time to join us and I’m sure he’ll be a great asset to the business.”
- 1 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 8 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match