New scheme trials free child care for Harpenden parents
- Credit: Getty Images/Wavebreak Media
A new scheme is trialling 30 hours of free child care for working parents in Harpenden.
Families who live within two miles of Batford Nursery School could be eligible for free childcare as part of a new pilot scheme.
The county council is seeking 415 families across Herts who meet the criteria to participate and receive 30 hours of free childcare for their three and four year-old children.
The trial offers a limited number of spaces in four areas in Herts with Harpenden being one of the selected locations. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
The pilot scheme begins this September with the government looking to roll it out nationally in 2017.
You may also want to watch:
Cabinet member for children’s services, Richard Roberts, said: “We are delighted that we have been chosen to pilot this scheme before it is rolled out across the country next year, and we are looking for eligible parents to apply for the small number of places available.
“We want to support parents to access their entitlement to 30 hours of free child care in whatever way best suits their needs, and will be building upon the fantastic partnership working which already exists between our maintained nursery schools and our other early year’s providers.”
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
For more information visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/parents