New plans for former Park Street village pub
DEVELOPERS have submitted a second set of plans for a former village pub site. But this time IdealRise are seeking permission to convert The Swan in Watling Street, Park Street, into flats rather than to demolish it and build houses on its footprint. The
DEVELOPERS have submitted a second set of plans for a former village pub site.
But this time IdealRise are seeking permission to convert The Swan in Watling Street, Park Street, into flats rather than to demolish it and build houses on its footprint.
The original proposal, which was dismissed at an appeal in May, was for seven three-bedroom houses and parking for 11 cars on the now derelict land.
Government planning inspector Brendan Lyons supported Idealrise's claim it wasn't viable to return the building to a pub but he maintained the building should be retained as it made a positive contribution to the area's character.
You may also want to watch:
The latest application is for the former Fuller's pub, a listed building, to be converted into four flats and for a terrace of three houses on the adjoining car park.
Mr Lyons also upheld the council's rejection of a separate application for retrospective planning permission for 2.4 metre-high hoarding around the site but it remains in place.
- 1 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 4 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 5 District's COVID cases fall below England's average for first time in a month
- 6 St Albans named among Britain’s hottest property markets
- 7 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 10 Horse owner pleads with public not to feed equine
A council spokesperson explained that no enforcement action had been taken because a decision has yet to be made on the latest application to convert the pub.