New flats for people with learning disabilities in Harpenden
PREPARATIONS are underway to construct special flats for people with learning disabilities in Harpenden.
The �1.6million development by Jarvis Contracting in Carlton Road will see a pair of 1930s semi-detached houses demolished to make way for a modern building housing 11 one-bedroom flats.
The project, which has been commissioned by Harpenden Mencap, is designed for residents to live completely independently but support will be given to tenants by visiting care staff.
The building will incorporate environmentally friendly features, including photovoltaic panels and rainwater harvesting, and is expected to be occupied in early 2012.
Steve Cook, managing director of Jarvis Contracting, said: “We are very pleased to have been awarded this prestigious contract. We’re looking forward to working closely with Harpenden Mencap and the residents to provide this much-needed facility. The flats will offer high-quality, spacious accommodation for adults of all ages, and sustainable energy features for low energy consumption.”
You may also want to watch:
Patrick Fisher, a Harpenden Mencap trustee, added: “Our current tenants are immensely excited at the prospect of having their own individual flats which will enable them to live near their friends. Harpenden Mencap Society has been searching for additional accommodation for many years so this will meet a long-felt need.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe