New director at Harpenden's Rothamsted Research
A HARPENDEN-based agricultural research centre has announced the appointment of a new director. Professor Maurice Moloney (pictured below) is the new director and chief executive of Rothamsted Research, the oldest agricultural research centre in the world
A HARPENDEN-based agricultural research centre has announced the appointment of a new director.
Professor Maurice Moloney (pictured below) is the new director and chief executive of Rothamsted Research, the oldest agricultural research centre in the world, and he will assume the full duties of his post from April.
Currently Chief Scientific Officer of SemBioSys Genetics Inc based in Canada, he is a leading authority on plant cell biology, especially seed biology, and its biotechnological applications in crop improvement.
Professor Moloney, who founded his Canadian company in 1994, said that he was looking forward to making his mark at Rothamsted: "It will be a great privilege to lead future scientific developments at the institute and I also welcome the opportunity to build on Rothamsted's strong reputation for training the next generation of skilled researchers in agricultural bioscience."
He will be Rothamsted's 12th director since its foundation in 1843 and succeeds Professor Ian Crute who received a CBE in the New Year's Honours List and who retired from the institute in 2009.
He is now chief scientist at the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 5 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 8 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire