New campaign calls for rethink on Radlett Airfield decision
- Credit: PA
Campaigner Andy Love has set up a parliamentary petition calling for a rethink on the 2014 decision to give planning approval for a railfreight interchange on Radlett Airfield.
His action follows news that just prior to the government reshuffle earlier this month, former Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Greg Clark, refused permission for a similar development at Colnbrook near Slough.
He ruled that the proposal from Goodman Logistics Development (UK) to build a Slough International Freight Exchange at Colnbrook would be inappropriate development and harmful to the Green Belt. He did not accept that special circumstances existed to warrant a Green Belt exemption.
St Albans MP Anne Main is urging new Secretary of State Sajid Javid to reconsider his predecessor Eric Pickles’ decision to allow a Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) to be built on the former airfield in Park Street.
The two proposals were regarded as so similar that at one time there was talk of a conjoined public inquiry into both schemes.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Love is asking for Mr Clark’s criteria on the Colnbrook scheme to be used to overturn the planning permission granted for the SRFI in 2014..
He points out that Mr Pickles twice decided not to give the SRFI planning permission prior to approving the scheme and questions why he changed his mind and why he did not allow a conjoined public inquiry with Colnbrook.
The petition can be found here.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism