New Batchwood Sports Centre to reopen in St Albans after original destroyed by fire
- Credit: Archant
A sports centre destroyed by fire nearly three years ago is to reopen next month with tennis, judo and squash facilities.
Batchwood Sports Centre was the subject of an arson attack in 2011 and had to be demolished because of the extent of the damage.
But it is to reopen in May to take its place alongside other casualties of the fire which have been rebuilt and relaid - the golf and bowls pavilions and the bowls green.
The energy-efficient new building will be one of the Lawn Tennis Association’s high performance centres providing coaching for players at all levels.
There will be six indoor tennis courts and a range of other facilities including refurbished squash courts, a 48-station gym, a strength and conditioning suite and a judo dojo training facility.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, the council’s audit commitee heard that rebuilding work had progressed largely as planned and within budget. Chairman, Cllr Robert Donald, said: “The committee welcomed the news that the new sports centre will open to the public in May and that all the work to rebuild sporting facilities destroyed in the fire at Batchwood will be complete then.”
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 8 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre