New Batchwood Sports Centre to reopen in St Albans after original destroyed by fire
- Credit: Archant
A sports centre destroyed by fire nearly three years ago is to reopen next month with tennis, judo and squash facilities.
Batchwood Sports Centre was the subject of an arson attack in 2011 and had to be demolished because of the extent of the damage.
But it is to reopen in May to take its place alongside other casualties of the fire which have been rebuilt and relaid - the golf and bowls pavilions and the bowls green.
The energy-efficient new building will be one of the Lawn Tennis Association’s high performance centres providing coaching for players at all levels.
There will be six indoor tennis courts and a range of other facilities including refurbished squash courts, a 48-station gym, a strength and conditioning suite and a judo dojo training facility.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, the council’s audit commitee heard that rebuilding work had progressed largely as planned and within budget. Chairman, Cllr Robert Donald, said: “The committee welcomed the news that the new sports centre will open to the public in May and that all the work to rebuild sporting facilities destroyed in the fire at Batchwood will be complete then.”
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre