New apartments help bolster St Albans social housing
- Credit: Archant
St Albans council will be able to give homes to more of those on the housing register after the completion of 18 apartments in Bricket Wood.
Choristers Court was built by North Hertfordshire Homes (NHH) in partnership with the district council, with an official ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday, February 10.
Built on the old Victoria Smith Court site, the one and two-bedroom properties are part of a scheme to redevelop sheltered housing schemes across the district, and will house families previously on the housing register.
Cllr Brian Ellis, Housing Portfolio holder at St Albans City and District Council, said: “This is a fantastic development providing modern homes that will be rented out to people on the Council’s Housing Register. Choristers Court is the sixth facility to be completed as part of our wider strategy to refurbish our outdated sheltered accommodation.”
NHH is also redeveloping garage space, previously owned by the Council, into 14 new homes at Telford Road and Cotlandswick in London Colney, which he council will nominate tenants for as well.
You may also want to watch:
The company’s chief executive, Gavin Cansfield, said: “Developing homes for people who are losing out in the housing system is our number one priority.
“The strong relationship we have with St Albans means we are able to provide the best solution for local people.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind