Nascot Lawn: Families granted permission for judicial review

PUBLISHED: 17:20 16 January 2018 | UPDATED: 08:36 17 January 2018

The outside of Nascot Lawn respite centre in Watford. Photo: Danny Loo.

The outside of Nascot Lawn respite centre in Watford. Photo: Danny Loo.

Danny Loo Photography 2017

Families have been granted permission to challenge the closure of Nascot Lawn in the High Court.

Last Friday, Mr Justice Dove granted permission to the families following the decision by Herts Valleys Clinical Commissioning Group (HVCCG) in November to defund the children’s respite centre.

Mr Justice Dove said: “I am satisfied this claim is properly arguable on all grounds.

“Clearly, for the reasons which have been set out by the claimant, this claim should be expedited for the earliest possible hearing date.

“This case must be heard as soon as possible.”

Parents of the disabled children who attend the Watford centre were shocked in June when HVCCG announced plans to withdraw its £660,000 of funding.

Since then they have fought to keep the service open, and in September HVCCG agreed to continue the funding and to consult further with the affected families.

However in November, HVCCG decided to permanently stop the funding, so the families resumed legal proceedings, as without the money the centre will likely close.

Parent and campaigner Satnam Kaur said: “It goes without saying we are all extremely happy the judge has seen the arguable case and understands the urgency of the case.

“Most of the Nascot families have now had their only and last one night of respite for January - no others have been scheduled yet.

“The strain we are being placed under is immense.”

Alex Rook, a partner at Irwin Mitchell, representing the families, said: “Families have been left with no alternative but to issue court proceedings once again.

“We would again urge HVCCG to reconsider its decision and enter into constructive dialogue, bringing to an end the anger, frustration and uncertainty families feel. The closure of Nascot Lawn would have a devastating effect on the community.”

Chief executive of HVCCG Kathryn Magson said: “We will, of course, participate fully in this legal process.

“We made our position clear following the funding decision by our finance and performance committee in November 2017 after extensive consultation with families. In light of the legal proceedings we would not want to comment further at this time.”

More news stories

Carollers have sung at City station to raise money for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield women’s refuges.

16:32

This year’s St Albans pantomime Cinderella opened last week. Matt Adams reviews The Alban Arena show.

15:51

The face of Govia Thameslink Railway has pledged a return to the service levels which existed before the timetable chaos which kicked off in May.

14:19

Police searched for a wanted man between Redbourn and St Albans this morning.

CountryPhile

I should probably have taken the hint! Walking out into the garden recently an unprecedented flock of thirty or more crows raucously greeted me from the treetops at the bottom of my garden. Cawing and croaking these big, black birds clung clumsily to the top most branches and twigs, jostling and flapping to stay balanced in a constant flurry of feathers. There is always something ominous about crows – they are after all carrion crows, the vultures of the bird world – always watching for scraps and weakness that might mean their next meal.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the The Herts Advertiser e-edition E-edition
Zoo Watch CountryPhile

Newsletter Sign Up

Herts Advertiser weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards