MP urges veterans to claim medals
FORMER soldiers are being urged to collect unclaimed war medals and get the recognition they deserve. St Albans MP Anne Main has heard of many veterans, particularly those who fought in World War Two, who have not claimed their war medals, often because t
FORMER soldiers are being urged to collect unclaimed war medals and get the recognition they deserve.
St Albans MP Anne Main has heard of many veterans, particularly those who fought in World War Two, who have not claimed their war medals, often because they were trying to forget the horrors they saw.
She regularly meets veterans and hears the same story time and time again.
She pointed out that service medals could be a strong symbol for children and grandchildren of the value of living in peaceful times and she wanted to make sure that everyone who wanted to claim a medal for their service could do so.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "These brave veterans risked their lives for our country and they deserve to be recognised for their service."
She added that the next of kin could claim medals for deceased soldiers.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 10 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
Anyone trying to claim their own or a family member's medals should write to Anne Main MP at the House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA, giving the service member's number, full name, date of birth, approximate dates of service and full current address.