MP's anger at Afghan death claim
COMMENTS by a Government Minister following an inquest into the death of Captain James Philippson in Afghanistan have angered St Albans MP Anne Main. Capt Philippson from Bricket Wood was the first British soldier to die in the present conflict in Helmand
COMMENTS by a Government Minister following an inquest into the death of Captain James Philippson in Afghanistan have angered St Albans MP Anne Main.
Capt Philippson from Bricket Wood was the first British soldier to die in the present conflict in Helmand province. He was shot in the head during a firefight with the Taliban in June 2006.
At his inquest last month the coroner recorded a narrative verdict in which he said that Capt Philippson was unlawfully killed and he accused the Ministry of Defence (MoD) of breaching British soldiers' trust by sending them to Afghanistan without basic equipment.
After the verdict, Capt Philippson's father, Anthony, said that he held the MoD responsible for his son's death.
You may also want to watch:
Now Anne Main wants Bob Ainsworth, the Minister for the Armed Forces, to retract comments made following the inquest in which it was suggested that the death was partly due to the actions of Capt Philippson's commanding officer, Major Bristow.
Mrs Main said on the BBC this week: "I have called on him to make a formal apology, to withdraw his inaccurate comments and correct them.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital