Mourning as ST Albans teacher dies
- Credit: Archant
Popular St Albans teacher Anne Hughes has died after a long illness.
Anne, who moved to St Albans in the sixties, spent most of her career in Herts after starting to teach in Kirby near Liverpool where she cut her teeth in the UK’s largest comprehensive chool.
In the mid sixties she moved south to take a lecturer’s post at St Albans College of Further Education where she taught O and A-level Geography and History.
Her next move was to head a department at John F Kennedy in Hemel Hempstead where she remained until she had three children and decided to take a break so that she could concentrate on the family
Anne was soon to be back in the classroom but this time she felt drawn to the primary sector and had many happy years at Maple School in St Albans.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst there she took over their athletics team and won the district sports having obtained her athletic coaching certificate. Her last post before retirement was at Windermere School, also in St Albans.
She leaves behind hr husband Des, three children and two grandchildren. Des said: “She will be remembered for her dedication to teaching and her popularity with both the children and her colleagues alike. She has been a credit to the teaching profession and will be sadly missed by all her many friends and colleagues.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 7 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 8 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 9 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 10 Colney Heath claim first Southern League win with Hertford success
Anyone wishing to attend Anne’s funeral should contact Phillips Funeral Services.