Mountain search launched for former Aldenham School teacher
A BIG search was underway for a former teacher who disappeared while exploring South Africa s highest mountain range. Michael Hetherington, aged 73, who was a housemaster at Aldenham School near Radlett for more than 30 years, was last seen on Saturday lo
A BIG search was underway for a former teacher who disappeared while exploring South Africa's highest mountain range.
Michael Hetherington, aged 73, who was a housemaster at Aldenham School near Radlett for more than 30 years, was last seen on Saturday looking for directions to Cathedral Peak in the Drakensberg Mountains in Kwazulu-Natal.
The classics teacher, who lived at the school during term time, had his own house in Lossiemouth, Scotland where he moved on retirement.
A spokesperson at the school said: "He was a bachelor and I don't think he had any family round here or in Scotland."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hetherington checked into the Didima Camp on Friday and his car was found in the car park of the Cathedral Park Hotel.
A search team was called when it became apparent that Mr Hetherington had not returned to the camp.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
A rescue organiser said of Cathedral Peak, which is two-and-a-half hours from Durban: "It's very steep. It's not for the fainthearted. It's more like a scramble than a walk."
A search-and-rescue operation involving mountain rescue teams, local police, search dogs and a small helicopter has been launched in the popular tourist spot.
The police air wing was deployed on an aerial search of the area while a 12-man mountain rescue team was searching on foot.
Mr Hetherington is believed to be an experienced climber and walker.