Mountain search launched for former Aldenham School teacher
A BIG search was underway for a former teacher who disappeared while exploring South Africa s highest mountain range. Michael Hetherington, aged 73, who was a housemaster at Aldenham School near Radlett for more than 30 years, was last seen on Saturday lo
A BIG search was underway for a former teacher who disappeared while exploring South Africa's highest mountain range.
Michael Hetherington, aged 73, who was a housemaster at Aldenham School near Radlett for more than 30 years, was last seen on Saturday looking for directions to Cathedral Peak in the Drakensberg Mountains in Kwazulu-Natal.
The classics teacher, who lived at the school during term time, had his own house in Lossiemouth, Scotland where he moved on retirement.
A spokesperson at the school said: "He was a bachelor and I don't think he had any family round here or in Scotland."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hetherington checked into the Didima Camp on Friday and his car was found in the car park of the Cathedral Park Hotel.
A search team was called when it became apparent that Mr Hetherington had not returned to the camp.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 6 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
A rescue organiser said of Cathedral Peak, which is two-and-a-half hours from Durban: "It's very steep. It's not for the fainthearted. It's more like a scramble than a walk."
A search-and-rescue operation involving mountain rescue teams, local police, search dogs and a small helicopter has been launched in the popular tourist spot.
The police air wing was deployed on an aerial search of the area while a 12-man mountain rescue team was searching on foot.
Mr Hetherington is believed to be an experienced climber and walker.