Motty, the voice of football, to pick winning hospice lottery ticket
THE VOICE of football will become the voice of the local hospice lottery when John Motson pulls out the winning ticket in a Superdraw in September. Motty, who lives in Herts and whose 40-year broadcasting career has made him a national institution, will b
THE VOICE of football will become the voice of the local hospice lottery when John Motson pulls out the winning ticket in a Superdraw in September.
Motty, who lives in Herts and whose 40-year broadcasting career has made him a national institution, will be making the draw at Grove House, the St Albans day hospice in Waverley Road, on September 10.
The hospice lottery's Superdraw is an annual event with a top prize of £5,000 and 64 other cash prizes to be won. Last year it raised £97,000 from one draw alone, a valuable source of income for the partner hospices which include Grove House, the Iain Rennie Hospice at Home at the Hospice of St Francis in Berkhamsted.
Last year's winner commented after receiving his cheque for £5,000: "I was happy to be supporting my local hospices and the fantastic work that they do but then to have a winning ticket as well was just wonderful. I have had such pleasure sharing my good fortune with others."
Tickets cost £1 or £10 for a book of 10 and as well as the top prize, there are two prizes of £500, two further prizes of £250 and 60 prizes of £25.
To take part in the Superdraw call the hospice lottery on 01442 891459 to order tickets.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
Grove House joined the hospice lottery - a weekly draw that takes place every Friday - in January and this year is the first time it will benefit from the proceeds of the Superdraw.
The weekly lottery was set up more than 10 years ago and now has seven partnership hospices.
Subscription members make up most of the weekly ticket sales and more than 14,000 members play every week but single tickets are also sold through the hospice shops and at other outlets. There are more than 100 cash prizes each week with a weekly top prize of £1,000.