Mother of young St Albans man who died from cancer braves the shave in his memory
- Credit: Archant
A mother and her friend have shaved their heads following the death of a beloved 21-year-old from cancer.
Tyler Hargrave, who grew up and worked in St Albans, died last month after a long battle with the disease.
His mother, Hayley Allum, and her friend Sarah Hodgson, decided to ‘Brave the Shave’ in his memory.
The two women took the plunge at Phoenix Barbers in Marshalswick as part of cancer support charity Macmillan’s national headshave campaign.
At the time of Tyler’s death, Hayley said: “He was the strongest, bravest person we have ever known and we shall miss him very much. Sleep tight our darling angel until we meet again.”
So far the pair have raised more than £2,700, beating their target of £1,000.
On the fundraising page, Hayley wrote: “We have and still are receiving help and support from this amazing charity. I really want to raise as much money as possible for them and in shaving my hair I think we can all say that’s no mean feat but not as brave or strong as all those people that don’t have the choice.”
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 8 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 9 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
She went on: “I have seen first hand what this terrible disease does to a person and if I can help make someone smile whilst they are going through this awful time then shaving my hair is nothing.”
If you would like to donate, click here.