More voices call for reduction in night flights at Luton Airport
MORE voices have been added to the rising tide of complaints levelled against night noise from aircraft. Major airports in the south east including Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted are limited by the Department of Transport to a fixed number of flights betw
MORE voices have been added to the rising tide of complaints levelled against night noise from aircraft.
Major airports in the south east including Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted are limited by the Department of Transport to a fixed number of flights between 11pm and 6am. But no restrictions have been placed on Luton Airport.
At a meeting of Harpenden Town Council, members voted to support St Albans District Council (SADC) in their call for restrictions to be placed on the number of night flights at Luton.
A report to the council said the number of night movements at Luton Airport in the July to September quarter averaged out at 36, compared to just 16 per night for Heathrow and 30 for Stansted.
Town clerk John Bagshaw said: "During the third quarter of 2008, a total of 111 complaints reported night disturbance. Many of these would have been from Harpenden people who are badly affected by this problem. "Herts County Councillor Bernard Lloyd is also lobbying support for a restriction on night flights.
Luton Airport management recently postponed a two-yearly review of the night-noise policy claiming it would have to be put on hold for another year while they prepared their master plan for the airport.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 6 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 Allinson happy with the reaction from St Albans City in the draw at Chelmsford
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area