Midnight Walkers on the move in St Albans
MIDNIGHT Walkers turned out in force to stride the streets of St Albans on Saturday night and raise money for the day hospice, Grove House.
Hundreds of walkers, many dressed in outrageous outfits, followed the 10 mile course through the streets of the city in the small hours of Sunday morning.
Actor Joe McGann, best known for his role as Charlie Burrows in the sitcom The Upper Hand, started the walk and joined the participants. He said: “I had a lovely walk and chatted with some inspiring people on beautiful full moonlit night - it was a pleasure to start the walk and be part of it.”
Before the event started, the walkers performed the Grove House popdance for the first time which replaced the traditional warm up and added to the atmosphere of the evening.
Then it was off with numerous women with their flashing lights, glow sticks, tutus and fairy wings joined by men dressed as women including Amy Winehouse and Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.
You may also want to watch:
The Midnight Walkers topped off at St Albans fire station for water, chocolate and bananas and when they returned to Verulamium Park they were presented with a flower from Fuchsia Pink Florists and a bookmark from Rachel Jeffrey Jewellers, both in Wheathampstead.
Paul Parrish, fundraising director for Grove House, said: “It really was a magical evening; we couldn’t have asked for better weather. We are absolutely delighted that on the night the walkers pledged to raise just over �60,390 and we know there is much more to come.”
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
All photos courtesy Blue Feather Photography