St Albans businessmen ride to success for Home-Start Hertfordshire
- Credit: Archant
Ten local cycling enthusiasts - including the so-called ‘Men in Lycra’ - completed the flagship London-Surrey 100-mile Prudential Ride London challenge and raised £10,000 for charity Home-Start Hertfordshire.
Half of the team were known as Men In Lycra, and consisted of members of St Albans Chamber of Commerce, including Paul Rosenthal, sales director of Amthal Fire & Security, Mark Bunting of Aitchison Raffety and Andrew Williamson of WMT Chartered Accounts.
Together, the entire team headed to the London Festival of Cycling to raise critical funds for Home-Start Hertfordshire and enable the charity to reach out to more families seeking their support.
Suzy Moody, strategic manager for Home-Start Hertfordshire, said: "We are so proud of all of our Prudential cyclists. They've not only completed what was a really tough challenge, but have also raised an incredible amount of money, which is still rising!
We could not deliver our service without support from the local community and businesses, so we are extremely grateful to all the guys and those who have sponsored them.
Paul Roenthal added: "The ride was amazing. From start to finish the crowds lined the streets, cheering us on and made us feel like true celebrities as we cycled round. Reaching The Mall and then riding down it was truly breath-taking and seeing the Queen Victoria memorial ahead was the perfect ending.
"We're delighted we've managed to complete the course and raise so much money for such an important local charity. Many parents need help, advice and support during those early years and as children grow up. There is no rulebook for raising a family and sometimes it can seem overwhelming, particularly if your family is going through difficult times. Home-Start is essential to help so many families at such a critical time."
- 1 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 2 Recap: Lorry catches fire on M25 in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 4 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 5 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 6 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Cool off at London Colney's new Watersplash
- 9 Recap: Rail firm cancels trains due to Herts 'operational issue'
- 10 Woodland access saved by Chiswell Green campaigner
Home-Start is a self-funded charity that supports families with young children who are feeling unable to cope. In Hertfordshire alone, it has helped 269 families and 707 children across the county, with approximately 80 families still waiting for support, 11 of which are in the St Albans area.
If you would like to support Home-Start Hertfordshire, please visit the dedicated fundraising page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?uniqueVmgCharityUrl=Home-StartHertfordshire