Memorial golf day boosts funds for St Albans charity
EVER since the death of her husband Ian in 2002 from a rare illness, Anne Swanston has held charity golf days in his memory. But last year Anne, of Partridge Road, St Albans, went one step further and held her first charity ball to raise money for the St
EVER since the death of her husband Ian in 2002 from a rare illness, Anne Swanston has held charity golf days in his memory.
But last year Anne, of Partridge Road, St Albans, went one step further and held her first charity ball to raise money for the St Albans-based National Association of Crohns and Colitis (NACC).
Last week she went along to the charity's Sutton Road headquarters to hand over a cheque for �4,500 from the ball which was held at Sopwell House Hotel in May.
It was attended by 120 people and hailed as a great success by everyone who went along.
You may also want to watch:
Only a few months later Anne hosted the 7th annual golf day in memory of Ian at Aldwickbury Golf Club in Harpenden which was to raise money for the Ankylosing Spondylitis Society.
This year there were more than 90 golfers playing and despite the economic downturn, the event was as successful as in previous years.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 3 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 8 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 9 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 10 City centre pub opens new roof garden
In total over the years Anne has raised over �100,000 for the two charities which she chose to fundraise for because Ian suffered from both illnesses.
She thanked the many people who had contributed to both the golf day and the ball and appealed to anyone who could help with sponsorship or donating to either event to contact her on email@example.com