Memorial golf day boosts funds for St Albans charity
EVER since the death of her husband Ian in 2002 from a rare illness, Anne Swanston has held charity golf days in his memory. But last year Anne, of Partridge Road, St Albans, went one step further and held her first charity ball to raise money for the St
EVER since the death of her husband Ian in 2002 from a rare illness, Anne Swanston has held charity golf days in his memory.
But last year Anne, of Partridge Road, St Albans, went one step further and held her first charity ball to raise money for the St Albans-based National Association of Crohns and Colitis (NACC).
Last week she went along to the charity's Sutton Road headquarters to hand over a cheque for �4,500 from the ball which was held at Sopwell House Hotel in May.
It was attended by 120 people and hailed as a great success by everyone who went along.
Only a few months later Anne hosted the 7th annual golf day in memory of Ian at Aldwickbury Golf Club in Harpenden which was to raise money for the Ankylosing Spondylitis Society.
This year there were more than 90 golfers playing and despite the economic downturn, the event was as successful as in previous years.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
In total over the years Anne has raised over �100,000 for the two charities which she chose to fundraise for because Ian suffered from both illnesses.
She thanked the many people who had contributed to both the golf day and the ball and appealed to anyone who could help with sponsorship or donating to either event to contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org