McDonald’s drive-thru April Fool’s joke has Harpenden residents incensed
- Credit: Archant
Townsfolk were incensed after spotting a planning application for a new drive-thru fast food restaurant in the heart of Harpenden.
Fury and confusion quickly erupted online on Monday (March 30) with many quick to state their disgust at McDonald’s apparent plans to build a new drive-thru at 7 Bowers Parade in High Street.
Commenting on a post in the Facebook group, Harpenden Parents Network, one user, Caroline Carter, said: “Yuk!”
Another user, Victoria Palumbo wrote: “I’d hate a McDonald’s in Harpenden. It would then make it like every other town. A crap hole. Much prefer independent shop’s (sic), keeps the town looking quaint.
“And those of you for it, you wouldn’t like the drop in house prices if harpenden (sic) did lose its charm.”
You may also want to watch:
But eagle-eyed folk quickly spotted the sign was actually a fake, with the reference number a tell-tale 5/15/APRL1 – just in time for April Fools Day. Though many found it funny, others didn’t fall for the joke and some failed to see the funny side.
Marcia Hamilton wrote: “What’s the big deal with a McDonald’s being built in Harpenden?”
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
Susan Williams added: “I also agree that it would not be welcomed. I like Harpenden being the way it is. That’s why I’ve never moved away from here.”