Mayor launches St Albans Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Mayor Annie Brewster donned her running shoes to help launch this year’s St Albans Half Marathon at a meeting with the winners of the first-ever event in 1981.
The Half Marathon, the Walking Half Marathon, the 5k run and the 1.5k Children’s Fun Run are being held in Verulamium Park on Sunday, June 8.
Cllr Brewster met up with Kirk Dumpleton, deputy head of Roundwood Park School in Harpenden, and Irene Peaty, who were crowned the winners of the men’s and women’s Half Marathon at the inaugural event 33 years ago.
The Mayor said: “It was a real pleasure to meet up with Kirk and Irene, winners of the first St Albans Half Marathon, who I used to run with.
“We met to help launch St Albans 33rd Half Marathon.
“It is not only a popular event for both spectators and competitors but every year it raises an amazing amount of money for local charities and voluntary organisations.
“We would love to make 2014 the best ever because it will raise funds for Mind in Mid Herts, which is such a vital charity in St Albans.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Community green spaces at risk of development on St Albans estate
- 3 Hybrid Charter Market agreed for St Albans
- 4 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 5 Call for Government to review district housing targets
- 6 Preaching into Sermon of the Year finals
- 7 What the fox? Mystery shoe thief revealed!
- 8 St Albans care teams win big at annual awards ceremony
- 9 'Spellbinding performances' in St Albans Musical Theatre Company's production of Rent
- 10 Churches group organises meeting for Ukrainians and host families
Cllr Brewster added: “There are races to suit everyone, from fun-runners to serious runners, walkers and even children. So don’t miss out, book your place now.”
Following the success of last year’s event, the number of places available has increased by 500 to 4,000 and for the first time in 2014, the Herts county championships will be incorporated.
Competitors need to book their places before 12 noon on Tuesday, June 3, and can do so through the half Marathon website www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk