Mayor launches St Albans Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Mayor Annie Brewster donned her running shoes to help launch this year’s St Albans Half Marathon at a meeting with the winners of the first-ever event in 1981.
The Half Marathon, the Walking Half Marathon, the 5k run and the 1.5k Children’s Fun Run are being held in Verulamium Park on Sunday, June 8.
Cllr Brewster met up with Kirk Dumpleton, deputy head of Roundwood Park School in Harpenden, and Irene Peaty, who were crowned the winners of the men’s and women’s Half Marathon at the inaugural event 33 years ago.
The Mayor said: “It was a real pleasure to meet up with Kirk and Irene, winners of the first St Albans Half Marathon, who I used to run with.
“We met to help launch St Albans 33rd Half Marathon.
You may also want to watch:
“It is not only a popular event for both spectators and competitors but every year it raises an amazing amount of money for local charities and voluntary organisations.
“We would love to make 2014 the best ever because it will raise funds for Mind in Mid Herts, which is such a vital charity in St Albans.”
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
Cllr Brewster added: “There are races to suit everyone, from fun-runners to serious runners, walkers and even children. So don’t miss out, book your place now.”
Following the success of last year’s event, the number of places available has increased by 500 to 4,000 and for the first time in 2014, the Herts county championships will be incorporated.
Competitors need to book their places before 12 noon on Tuesday, June 3, and can do so through the half Marathon website www.stalbanshalfmarathon.co.uk