Markyate woman publishes her first children’s book
- Credit: Archant
Publication of her first children’s book has fulfilled a long-held ambition for a local writer.
Suzan Moule who lives in Markyate, admitted that she cried when she first heard that the book, Woody’s Park, had been accepted for publication.
It centres around a pretty village park where Woody, named after Suzan’s own black labrador, goes for walks to meet all his tree friends who live there along with other animals, and the adventures they have throughout the changing seasons.
Suzan hopes it will encourage children to get outside in the fresh air, explore, discover and enjoy all the parks, woodlands and nature on offer to them.
She had sent Woody’s Park to a few publishing houses and had not really expected a reply because the market is so saturated. But Olympia Publishers told her they thought it was worthy of publication, leaving her, in her own words, ‘absolutely ecstatic’.
She went on: “Woody’s Park is completely my own idea and creation, I even sourced my own illustrator as I didn’t think the original one from the publishers suited my book. It has been a real labour of love but so worth it.”
Suzan can often be seen out walking with Woody who is slowing down a bit now he is getting older. She said: “We could never tire him out when he was younger, but now it’s more about the quality of his walk rather the quantity bless him. He loves to sit and watch the little animals scurrying by or the children playing and we often find a little bench in the corner of the park or woodlands where he can sit and do just that.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
“Woody has such character and always makes me laugh, I love being with him, he is a very important family member who is so, so loved and special. It seemed more than fitting to write my book and name it after him.”
Suzan is mum to Jack Moule, a champion jet skier and successful professional stuntman, and he has nothing but praise for her. He said: “I’m so happy for mum. Dad and me encouraged her to try and get Woody’s Park published as we knew it was such a good read and children would really love it. She has always been there for me and helped, supported and encouraged my career and it’s so lovely to see her achieve her dream too.”
Woody’s Park is available from Olympia Publishers, good bookshops and online stores.