Markyate pet owner receives ban for animal neglect
- Credit: Archant
A man has been disqualified from keeping animals for three years after he neglected a cat, a collie dog and two tortoises.
Neil Raines, 44, of Dammersley Close, Markyate, had previously pleaded guilty to neglecting Sue, a two year old black cat, Lucky, a 14 year old black and white collie dog, and two tortoises, all of which havebeen rehomed.
He appeared at St Albans Magistrates’ Court last Wednesday and was also given a six month community order with a week curfew from 8pm to 8am and made to pay £780 costs.
RSPCA inspector Rachel Smith said: “The needs of these animals were just not being met. A suitable environment had not been provided for Sue, who was kept enclosed in a cat basket over a litter tray and not allowed to roam. She was also suffering from extreme weight loss and had not been taken to a vet to be treated for this.
“Lucky, the not-so-lucky collie, had not been given a suitable environment or diet and the two tortoises had not been given the light or heat that they need to survive.
You may also want to watch:
“The message here is that taking on the care of any animal is a big responsibility and it is important to remember the animals involved are completely dependent on this care.
“Anyone taking on such a duty needs to think carefully to make sure they have the time and resources to do so.”
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 3 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 6 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 7 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 8 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 9 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 10 'Witty, dramatic and rewarding' Skylight set for Abbey Theatre in St Albans