Markyate model Megan’s moneyraising effort
- Credit: Archant
Little Megan Gibbon is hoping her do-good ways will mean her dreams come true and win her a place in the finals of a beauty pageant.
Megan, 10, who lives in Markyate, will be taking part in Face of the Globe organisation’s regional heat at the end of April, which is open to girls from five and up. The Face of the Globe is an international beauty pageant hosted over one week between UK and Disneyland Paris.
But the pageant is no ordinary one as it encourages girls to fundraise for various charities, including the Rainbow Child Foundation, set up by X Factor and Dancing On Ice star, Chico Slimani.
90% of the money raised by finalists is donated to the charity and the remaining 10% donated to the charity of the highest fundraisers’ choice.
Megan’s mother, Anna Shaw, said: “I think it’s a really good idea as it helps teach young children more about giving to others and doing good. In the grand final the child gets to choose which charity the money goes to.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the last year Megan’s raised over £300 for various different charities by doing a variety of different things, such as car boot sales and cake bakes.”
Megan, who is a pupil at Redbourn Junior School, said: “I’m really looking forward to the pageant and have told all of my friends.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 5 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
“I’ve done it ten times before so I’m a bit nervous but it will be alright!”
Megan will be holding a table top sale at Markyate Village Hall from 2pm on March 29 where people “can have a clear out” and come along and sell crafts and bits and bobs.