Markyate model Megan’s moneyraising effort
- Credit: Archant
Little Megan Gibbon is hoping her do-good ways will mean her dreams come true and win her a place in the finals of a beauty pageant.
Megan, 10, who lives in Markyate, will be taking part in Face of the Globe organisation’s regional heat at the end of April, which is open to girls from five and up. The Face of the Globe is an international beauty pageant hosted over one week between UK and Disneyland Paris.
But the pageant is no ordinary one as it encourages girls to fundraise for various charities, including the Rainbow Child Foundation, set up by X Factor and Dancing On Ice star, Chico Slimani.
90% of the money raised by finalists is donated to the charity and the remaining 10% donated to the charity of the highest fundraisers’ choice.
Megan’s mother, Anna Shaw, said: “I think it’s a really good idea as it helps teach young children more about giving to others and doing good. In the grand final the child gets to choose which charity the money goes to.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the last year Megan’s raised over £300 for various different charities by doing a variety of different things, such as car boot sales and cake bakes.”
Megan, who is a pupil at Redbourn Junior School, said: “I’m really looking forward to the pageant and have told all of my friends.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
“I’ve done it ten times before so I’m a bit nervous but it will be alright!”
Megan will be holding a table top sale at Markyate Village Hall from 2pm on March 29 where people “can have a clear out” and come along and sell crafts and bits and bobs.