What do you think about what a Foreign Office minister said about Harpenden?
- Credit: Archant
A Foreign Office minister made a grand claim about Harpenden in the House of Commons yesterday.
Mark Field said: “Harpenden is indeed the most middle-class, and probably Tory-voting, town in the whole UK.”
This followed a question from the town’s MP Bim Afolami about the UK’s future relationship with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) after Brexit.
Mr Field, the minister for Asia and the Pacific, replied: “Never let it be said that my Honourable Friend does not have his finger on the pulse of his constituents. I am sure they talk of little other than the OECD in the Stockbrokers Arms in Harpenden.”
He assured Mr Afolami, who himself used to work for HSBC, that the UK should expect a renewed commitment from the OECD to open markets.
You may also want to watch:
But the minister was warned by the Labour MP for Hove Peter Kyle: “Hove is also middle class — it used to vote Tory, too.”
What do you think about Mr Field’s comments? Send us your thoughts!
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 8 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans