What do you think about what a Foreign Office minister said about Harpenden?
- Credit: Archant
A Foreign Office minister made a grand claim about Harpenden in the House of Commons yesterday.
Mark Field said: “Harpenden is indeed the most middle-class, and probably Tory-voting, town in the whole UK.”
This followed a question from the town’s MP Bim Afolami about the UK’s future relationship with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) after Brexit.
Mr Field, the minister for Asia and the Pacific, replied: “Never let it be said that my Honourable Friend does not have his finger on the pulse of his constituents. I am sure they talk of little other than the OECD in the Stockbrokers Arms in Harpenden.”
He assured Mr Afolami, who himself used to work for HSBC, that the UK should expect a renewed commitment from the OECD to open markets.
You may also want to watch:
But the minister was warned by the Labour MP for Hove Peter Kyle: “Hove is also middle class — it used to vote Tory, too.”
What do you think about Mr Field’s comments? Send us your thoughts!
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school