Man infected with rare flesh-eating bacteria after spider bite says he is ‘lucky to be alive’
- Credit: Archant
A traumatised St Albans man was hospitalised after a huge spider bit him and he was infected with very rare flesh-eating bacteria.
In early May Paul Jory was eating a banana from his fruit box when he felt a tickle on the back of his hand.
Looking down, he saw what he described a “big spider, about 3in in size, with a big body with long legs”.
The 59-year-old added: “It didn’t look like a spider I had ever seen before and I am almost certain it was not a spider indigenous to the UK.”
He thinks it might have come from the fruit box but cannot be sure.
“I knew it was a nasty beasty, it didn’t look nice at all, so I stayed perfectly still because I didn’t want to aggravate it”.
Despite these attempts the spider lashed out, sending a “very painful” jolt which was “like a shock” through his arm and leaving him with a bite that swelled up to the size of a golf ball.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
Mr Jory hastily caught a taxi to Watford General Hospital accident and emergency, from which point his memory is hazy.
The doctors had put him into an induced coma to stop the poison spreading and he woke up a week later which a huge surgical scar from elbow to armpit.
“It is very traumatic to wake up, not know where you are, with your arm really open with a big gash and not knowing what was going to happen,” he said.
“First thing I said was: ‘Am I going to die?’”
He was then moved from Watford General to London’s Royal Free Hospital for more surgery.
However he is hopeful that the majority of his arm function will return.
It is unclear what exactly caused his extreme reaction but recent results suggest Mr Jory had been infected by a form of flesh-eating bacteria called necrotising fasciitis.
This could have come from the bite or been a completely separate coincidence.
In either case, Mr Jory is fortunate the infection did not spread further towards his neck, as this could have been life-threatening.
He added: “I am a normal guy who does his best and trys to make his best in life.
“I am lucky to be alive but I am happy.”
Mr Jory’s house has been emptied and fumigated to ensure the spider does not return and he is getting back to work managing his own business, Brandz Ltd.