Man falls off St Albans roof
A MAN has been airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after he fell from a garage roof in St Albans this morning.
The East of England Ambulance Service were alerted to a block of garages in Carnegie Road, New Greens, just after 9am.
Paramedics from St Albans attended the scene but, due to the nature of the call, the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance was sent to the scene and landed on an area of grassland in Blundell Road.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “The man who we believe to be in his 30s has received a serious head injury.
“Paramedics and a doctor from the air ambulance rapidly treated and stabilised him before he was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.”
You may also want to watch:
The council-owned land where the incident happened is currently taken up by garages but they are in the process of being demolished. The man was working for a council sub-contractor when he fell carrying out the work.
Pam East, of Carnegie Road, which looks out onto the grassland, said: “My daughter was in the front bedroom and noticed the commotion across the road. There were several policemen and paramedics helping lift the man to the helicopter in the middle of the green.”
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 8 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 9 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
A Health and Safety Executive spokesman said they had been informed about the incident and were making enquiries.