Man charged with sexual activity in front of a child after incident in St Albans city centre
- Credit: Archant
A 59-year-old man has been charged with sex offences following an incident in St Albans city centre.
Malcolm Lovett – of no fixed address – appeared at Hatfield remand court today charged with sexual assault, outraging public decency, and sexual activity in front of a child.
His arrest is connected to an incident outside McDonald’s in Everard Close, at 4pm on Tuesday, June 20, where a man made a sexual comment to a 14-year-old, and touched her arm.
The girl and her four friends then went to St Albans Abbey railway station, where the man allegedly touched himself in front of them.
At this point, a member of the public intervened – but this man left the scene before officers could speak to him.
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Katy Jackson said: “This was an understandably distressing incident for these girls and they are being supported by our officers. I would like to reassure the community that this type of incident is unusual in St Albans.
“I am very keen to speak to the man who intervened during the incident, so if it was you then please contact my colleague Det Con Gareth John on 101.”
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25