Man arrested in Germany, 23 years after Paul Milburn found murdered in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A man who police wanted to speak to in connection with a murder in St Albans over two decades ago has been detained by police in Germany.
Paul Milburn, 43, from Surrey, was killed in Noke Lane at about 4.25pm on Monday April 26 in 1993.
He was shot in his car and died at the scene.
In June last year detectives from the Beds, Cambs and Herts Major Crime Unit re-appealed for information about the murder and the whereabouts of 59-year-old Justin Clarke, who they believed would be able to help them with their investigation.
The appeal also featured on the BBC’s Crimewatch programme in late May, which prompted several calls.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday (Thursday), following close work between the German authorities, National Crime Agency and local officers who travelled to Germany, Mr Clarke was arrested under a European Arrest Warrant by police in Berlin.
The extradition process has now begun.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
An 81-year-old woman from Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, was arrested last night (February 4) on suspicion of assisting an offender. She has been released on bail until March 8.
• Last year, a spokesman for Herts Police said that two decades ago four people were arrested following Mr Milburn’s murder. Their charges ranged from conspiracy to deceive, conspiracy to handle stolen goods and conspiracy to handle supplied controlled drugs. However, no one was charged for Mr Milburn’s murder.