Man arrested after fire at Harpenden flats
A MAN who had been threatening to harm himself was rescued from a block of flats on Tuesday evening.
Police were initially called to Leaside Court on Lower Luton Road following reports of a disturbance. They encountered a man believed to be in his 30s inside one of the flats who was thought to be threatening to harm himself.
Residents living in the flats were evacuated as a precaution before police became aware of a fire in the man’s flat and made an emergency entrance.
Crews from St Albans, Harpenden and Wheathampstead were called to the incident and initially had to fight the fire from outside the building with a jet hose. They then entered the building and used high pressure fans to clear the smoke.
The rescued man is not thought to have suffered any serious injuries and was arrested at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 7 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 8 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 9 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 10 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots